In This Section

Frequently Asked Questions About Workers’ Compensation

Following a serious injury at work, victims often have more questions than answers. At the law firm of Atwood, Holsten, Brown, Deaver & Spier Law Firm, P.C., L.L.O., we provide comprehensive legal services to workers who have been injured in workplace accidents. Below is a list of some of the most common questions our clients have in workers' compensation cases.

If you are considering filing a workers' compensation claim, call our experienced legal team at 402-817-2717 or toll free at 800-655-9606 to discuss your case during a free consultation.

What Benefits Are Available In A Nebraska Workers' Comp Claim?

The benefits that may be available in a given case depend largely on the type of workplace injury you have suffered and the circumstances surrounding the accident that caused it. In general, however, the benefits that may be available include compensation for medical bills, mileage to and from doctor appointments related to the work injury and medication required to treat the injury. Many cases include payments for lost wages and permanent impairment or disability resulting from your injury. If you are unable to return to your previous job after your recovery, workers' compensation benefits can also include vocational rehabilitation.

What Types Of Injuries Are Covered By Nebraska Workers' Comp?

Benefits can be paid for injuries and medical conditions that occur as a direct result of your employment. If you were performing any job function when you were injured, you have grounds to seek workers' compensation benefits. Whether your condition developed as the result of a single accident or took years to become apparent, such as an industrial disease or carpal tunnel syndrome, you are entitled to benefits just the same. Even heart attacks or mental illnesses that can be connected to your job can occur because of work-related stress and they can be considered for workers' compensation.

What Should I Do If I Have Suffered A Work-Related Injury?

The first thing you should do is notify your employer. Follow the entire protocol and get copies of any incident reports and documents you are asked to fill out. You will receive direction from your employer regarding how to obtain medical care for the injury and the other benefits that may apply to your case. If you feel that you are not being treated fairly by your employer or its insurance company at any point, or any claim has been denied, contact a lawyer immediately.

What Type Of Wage Reimbursement Should I Expect While I Am Out Of Work?

You are entitled to receive temporary disability benefits while you recover from your injury. These benefits typically equate to approximately two-thirds of your average weekly wages.

Do I Have To See The Company's Doctor?

You have the right to see a doctor whom you have a relationship with or who has treated you for other conditions in the past.

Contact Us To Answer Additional Workers' Compensation Questions

There is no substitute for a conversation with an attorney to answer questions about the specific circumstances surrounding your case. We encourage you to contact one of our Nebraska offices in Lincoln or Omaha to schedule a free initial consultation with a member of our firm. Please call us locally at 402-817-2717 or toll free from anywhere in the United States at 800-655-9606 to schedule an appointment. You can also contact us via email if you prefer.