Atwood, Holsten, Brown, Deaver & Spier Law Firm, P.C., L.L.O
Get A Free Consultation Now
Call 800-655-9606
  • facebook
  • twitter
  • google plus

Our Areas Of Practice

Practice Areas Menu

I've Been Injured At Work - What Do I Do? (Part 1)

This is Part 1 of a multi-part series on what you can do if you've been injured at work.

Part 1 - Recordkeeping

Accidents at work come out of nowhere. They put extreme emotional and financial strain on the injured worker and his or her family. If you are injured, physically restricted, or have been terminated from your job due to a work injury, you should pursue potential worker's compensation remedies available to you. While each case is different, the following tips may work for you! Here are some general steps you can take toward the successful pursuit of a worker's compensation claim.

Step 1: Record the incident

Above all else, immediately report your accident or injury to your supervisor! If and when you have a work accident resulting in injury, immediately write down the particulars of the incident while they are still fresh in your mind. This should include the time, date, location and circumstances of the event and contact information for any persons who witnessed the accident. Your report of the accident forms the basis for your claim.

Step 2: Obtain your personnel file

As soon as possible, obtain a copy of your personnel file from your HR representative or your direct supervisor. Your personnel file - records of prior reprimands and commendations, information about pay raises, annual reviews, and other employment details - contains key information about your employment history. Keep a hard copy of all the formal developments in your employment, especially those pertaining to your accident.

Step 3: Keep all pay stubs and other records from your employer

Keep employee handbooks, check stubs, and any written information you receive from your employer. These records help to establish your wages at the time of your injury and your employment rights and liabilities. These records help define benefits to which you may be entitled if you are injured on the job.

If you have been hurt at work and need help now, please visit our contact page.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Martindale Hubbell | AV Preeminent | Peer rated for highest level of professional excellence 2017
  • The American Trial Lawyers Association
  • ABA - Defending Liberty Pursing justice
  • NATA

What Our Clients Say

  • " The lawyers and support staff at Atwood Law Firm showed me sincere interest and caring on a very personal level, and I knew at all times my interests were front and center in all aspects of my workers' compensation case. This office is staffed by a great group of people. You can relax and be assured that your welfare comes first and foremost in their decisions and actions with respect to your legal case. You are kept aware of the process and progress in your case at all times, and your input is welcomed. I highly recommend the Atwood Law Firm to anyone needing legal assistance.” - WN
Client Testimonials

Get A Free Consultation Now

Please fill our the form below to contact Atwood, Holsten, Brown, Deaver & Spier for a consultation.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Get Help Today. Call Us At 800-655-9606

Lincoln Office
575 Fallbrook Boulevard Suite 206
Lincoln, NE 68521

Toll Free: 800-655-9606
Phone: 402-817-2717
Fax: 402-476-4410
Lincoln Law Office Map

Omaha Office
14301 First National Bank Parkway
Suite 100
Omaha, NE 68154

Toll Free: 800-655-9606
Phone: 402-817-2717
Fax: 402-476-4410
Map & Directions

Review Us