Selected to the 2016 and 2017 Great Plains Rising Stars List, an honor bestowed upon no more than 2.5% of attorneys in the state each year.
Travis A. Spier is Managing Shareholder at Atwood, Holsten, Brown, Deaver, Spier & Israel Law Firm, P.C., L.L.O., where he works out of the firm's offices in Lincoln and Omaha, Nebraska. Representing clients throughout the state, Travis focuses his practice on representing injured individuals in workers' compensation trials and appeals and also personal injury and wrongful death litigation. Travis has successfully litigated hundreds of workers' compensation claims for his clients, including dozens of trials or hearings and multiple victories in the Nebraska Supreme Court and Nebraska Court of Appeals. Travis is a certified mediator and has successfully utilized mediation and traditional negotiations to obtain millions of dollars for his clients via settlement.
A native of Nebraska, Travis attended the University of Nebraska in Lincoln as an undergraduate student, majoring in business administration and obtaining a bachelor's degree with high distinction in 2004. Remaining in Lincoln, he attended the University of Nebraska College of Law and received his Juris Doctor in 2007. Travis is admitted to practice before all Nebraska state and federal courts, Travis is an active member of the Nebraska Association of Trial Attorneys and the Nebraska State Bar Association.
On a personal note, Travis is an avid outdoorsman and a passionate sports fan. His favorite hobbies include bow hunting, fishing, hiking, softball, golf, and weight training. When he is not in the office or courtroom, you can find him coaching his boys' baseball teams, hiking or camping with his family, at a Husker game, or most often in the fall, in a treestand near his hometown in southeast Nebraska.
It can be very difficult to manage the workers' compensation process on your own. The process can become complicated. When it does, you need to get an attorney and not just any attorney, you need Travis Spier of Atwood, Holsten, Brown, Deaver & Spier Law Firm, P.C., L.L.O. I wouldn't have made it through my case without him. He didn't treat me like I was one of 100 clients. He treated me like I was his only client. He acted professionally but with empathy, dignity and friendliness. It didn't matter if it was something small or large, he was always there for me, be it by phone, fax, e-mail, cell phone or meeting me personally at his office or elsewhere. He never rushed me when I didn't understand something, he'd take as much time as needed to explain things to me, especially when it came time for my deposition and in preparation for trial. He was there for me when I truly needed his help. I will refer my family and friends to him.
- Cheryl G.
I retained Travis Spier on a very delicate workers' compensation issue. Travis took the time answer all of my questions and always had the time to speak to me on the phone, meet with me and to answer my emails. Travis and his co-workers were always nice, polite and very understanding when working with me on my case. I would recommend Travis Spier and the Atwood Law Firm to anyone who needs a lawyer concerning workers' compensation or other employment issues. In fact, I wish Travis Spier and the Atwood Law Firm could be my family lawyer and firm.
- Bruce H.
Travis represented me in my injury case. Having interacted with him for a long time now, I have had countless opportunities to appreciate his professionalism and his dedication to advancing his client's interests. He always managed to make himself promptly available to meet me, if necessary, or to have a personal phone discussion with me whenever I needed it. Whenever I left a message for his secretary or on his voice mail, I always got his personal return call on the same day and never later than the next day. He took the time to listen patiently to my concerns and questions and provided me with thoughtful answers which helped me understand and put me at ease. When facing alternative courses of action, Travis explained carefully the alternatives and pointed out the most beneficial ones, clearly showing that he never lost sight of his client's best interests. When my work comp adjuster failed to timely authorize the refill of my pain medication, or when some doctors' offices were wrongly directing bills to me, Travis took immediate action to put an end to it. I am certainly happy to have had Travis Allan Spier as my lawyer for my injury case. In addition to being an excellent lawyer, Travis is a friendly, honest and patient person, easy to talk to and rely upon. I would strongly and without reservation recommend him to a family member or to a friend.
- Adam S.
The lawyers and support staff at Atwood Law Firm showed me sincere interest and caring on a very personal level, and I knew at all times my interests were front and center in all aspects of my workers' compensation case. This office is staffed by a great group of people. You can relax and be assured that your welfare comes first and foremost in their decisions and actions with respect to your legal case. You are kept aware of the process and progress in your case at all times, and your input is welcomed. I highly recommend Travis and the Atwood Law Firm to anyone needing legal assistance.
- Whitney N.
Travis represented my son for injuries he sustained in a motor vehicle accident. Travis was great to work with from beginning to end of my son's case. Travis explained procedures and gave his advice concisely and clearly so all decisions could be made in the best interests of my son. Communication between us was excellent and it was always clear what the next step would be and why. Travis was open to receiving my input and took any suggestions I had and used them in the most positive way for my son's case. His hard work, legal strategies and communications with the insurance companies involved were always with my son's best interests in mind. I would not hesitate to recommend Travis to anyone should they find themselves in a similar situation. We have nothing but gratitude and respect for Travis. Travis fought for what my son deserved and he got it.
- Sandy R.
Travis was very patient throughout my experience with him and he was able to answer all questions I proposed to him. Travis was available most of the time and scheduling a meeting with him was easy. Travis was very professional when answering my questions and updating me on the progress of my claim. I felt at ease around Travis and it was clear that he cared about me and his main focus was not monetary. Travis was able to get me the best results concerning my claim and was very patient throughout the claim process. Overall, I had a great experience working with Travis and he made me feel important. I would recommend him to others as well.
- Gary W.
Recent Noteworthy Judgments/Settlements
- $3,638,591.68 Settlement: “Workers’ Compensation Settlement Agreement; party and case information confidential. Successfully mediated workers’ compensation claim to agreement to resolve for lifetime value to injured worker of over $3.6 Million. (2021)”
- $2,291,050.54 Lifetime Value Award: “Dredla v. Valmont Industries, Inc., Doc: 216, Page: 0572 (Award entered on 1/5/21): Workers’ compensation trial victory results in award to client/injured worker of lifetime disability and medical benefits valued at nearly $2.3 Million over client’s projected life expectancy. (2021)”
- $1,154,000 Living Arrangement Award: “Simmons v. Precast Haulers, Inc., Doc: 212 Page: 0087 (Order entered on 9/22/20): Workers’ compensation insurance company sought to avoid paying cost of wheelchair-dependent injured worker’s living arrangements at assisted living facility. Secured trial victory obligating carrier to continue to pay for client’s assisted living arrangements which at current prices hold a projected value of over $1.1 Million over client’s life expectancy. (2020)”
- Nebraska Supreme Court victory for injured worker: “Parks v. Hy-Vee, Inc., No. S-20-195 (Opinion filed 12/4/20). Prevailed over employer appeal of benefits award to secure injured worker/client’s lifetime benefits award via Supreme Court affirmance. (2020)”
- $500,000.00 Projected Lifetime Value Award: “Parks v. Hy-Vee, Inc., Doc: 210 No: 1226 (Further Award entered on 2/7/20). Successfully tried workers’ compensation claim for injured worker securing lifetime Award of benefits with projected value greater than $500,000.00 over injured worker’s life expectancy. (2020)”
- $330,000.00 Settlement: “Party and Case Information Confidential; Successfully negotiated resolution of claims of widow and children of injured worker who died in the course and scope of his employment. Widow’s and children’s claims had previously been denied with zero benefits voluntarily paid. (2020)”
- $315,000.00 Settlement of Workplace Death Claim: “Party Information Confidential. Negotiated settlement for widow and children of injured worker who fell from a roof at work and later died from injuries sustained in the fall. Workers’ compensation benefits had been denied to the family. (2020)”
- $500,000.00 Value Lifetime Award: “Gove v. Kinseth Hotel Corp, Inc., Doc: 217 Page: 0699 (Award Entered on 4/1/19). Trial resulted in lifetime award of disability, medical expenses, and past penalties for employer’s wrongful denial of injured worker’s claim. (2019)”
- $395,000.00 Settlement: “Party and Case Information Confidential; Successfully negotiated resolution of denied and disputed workers’ compensation claim of injured worker. (2019)”
- University of Nebraska College of Law, Lincoln, Nebraska
- University of Nebraska, Lincoln
- Honors: With High Distinction
- Nebraska State Bar Association, Member
- Nebraska Association of Trial Attorneys, Member
- Workers' Compensation
- Personal Injury
- Wrongful Death
- Selected to Super Lawyers Rising Stars in 2016 and 2017